Backhaus/Heimatmuseum Gemünden

Photo: Bruno Rühl
Detail reproduction: Bruno Rühl in 2000; original: painting "Gemündener Backes" by the painter Heinz Müller (Gemünden im Taunus).

Backhaus/Heimatmuseum Gemünden

address
Am Sattelbach 9
61276 Weilrod-Gemünden
Phone
+49 (0) 6083 10 60
eMail
info@gemuend.de
Web
Opening hours
Entrance fees
Free
Sector
History
Category
Museums
Sponsor
Landfrauenverein Gemünden e.V.
Founded
1972
Focus of collection
Local history
Location
Hochtaunuskreis
Information

The solid basement of today's local museum has originally been a chapel. Its first mention dates back to the year 1580. In 1996, however, inside wall paintings with biblical motifs were discovered, which date back to the late Middle Ages. The remarkable frescoes are the remains of a cycle of scenes from the Old and New Testament. They range from the Fall of Man via the Annunciation and the Visitation to the infidel Thomas. After the construction of a new, larger church in Gemünden in 1840, the chapel was profaned and used as a bakery. Even today, bread is sometimes baked there. From 1948 to 1972, the building – incidentally the oldest in the town – acted as the town hall, since then as a local history museum. After the regional reform in 1972, the local museum was built in the upper rooms by the rural women's association Gemünden.